PROJECTS

Angle Community Plaques of Remembrance restoration

Angle Community Plaques of Remembrance restoration

Angle is a small, predominantly rural community at the extreme south west of Pembrokeshire. Geographically it is bordered on three sides by the sea. Angle has figured prominently in military activity from Napoleonic times through both world wars. During the Great War, the village hotel was adapted into a military hospital, and supported by a VAD. As shown in these photos.

 

Angle Community Council would like to thank CADW for their generous grant towards the costs of renewing the commemorative plaques of remembrance to all those men who served in the Great War 1914-1918. Made of sand stone, the original plaques were almost unreadable, and the community was in danger of losing important historical information. The new plaques are situated on the front of the Village hall, opposite St Mary’s Church. We hope that made of granite, these will last at least another 100 years.

Using local knowledge and resources, 77 men have been identified who served. Not all died but all have been commemorated. The loss of any life is one too many, but, in such a small community, with multiple family members called to serve, the thought of losing several men from one family must have been very hard.