New Welsh War Memorial to be unveiled on Armistice Day
Llantrisant War Memorial Campaign
11/11/2016 10:30am - 11/11/2016 11:15am
Rhondda Cynon Taf
The initial unveiling of a new war memorial – and a special Armistice Day Concert – will both take place in Llantrisant on Friday November 11th, 2016.
The concert, which is being organised by the Llantrisant War Memorial Committee, will feature musical items and wartime tributes from school and adult choirs from the local area. The event will be held at Llantrisant Leisure Centre at 6.30pm.
The memorial itself will be initially unveiled – by RCT Council Leader Andrew Morgan, Councillor Glynne Holmes and Trevor Evans, a former Korean POW and Private with the Duke of Wellington Regiment – during a brief ceremony beginning at approximately 10.30am in the Bullring, Llantrisant.
Here are some facts about the memorial.
• The memorial, the first of its kind in Llantrisant, is approximately 9ft tall, 2ft 6 wide. It is made of Portland Stone and situated in the Bullring, Llantrisant (adjacent to the Model House, Swan Street, CF72 8EB).
• The memorial features 92 names of those who served in World War One, World War Two and subsequent battles in Palestine (1946), Italy (1946) and Korea (1952). All of the soldiers named on the memorial were born or lived within the former boundary of Llantrisant which today covers neighbouring Talbot Green, Cross Inn and Penygawsi.
• Research into the names took nine years and was undertaken by Mike John and Tony Cale from the War Memorial Committee.
• The memorial features a special Cross of Sacrifice designed by renowned Welsh sculptor David Petersen, the man who designed the magnificent Mametz Wood Memorial in France.
• The memorial has been funded by the people of Llantrisant through concerts and collections. £15,000 was generously provided by RCT following a promise to donate this amount when the committee raised the equivalent figure.
• Various sites were considered for the memorial. Feedback from a range of information and consultation events held by the committee in the town led to the Bullring being chosen as the memorial’s location. Placing the memorial in the town centre means it will be a daily reminder of the huge sacrifices made by the Fallen.
• Llantrisant Remembrance Day Services, which have hitherto taken place outside Caerlan Hall on Newbridge Road, Llantrisant, will now be held in the Bullring, the first will take place on Sunday November 13th 2016, beginning at 10.45am.
• It is hoped that a special dedication service will be held next year.
Commenting on the Armistice Day Events Llantrisant War Memorial Committee Chair, Councillor Glynne Holmes, said: “For many years Llantrisant has been one of the few towns in the UK without a war memorial. Now, after years of hard work by the committee, along with the fantastic fundraising efforts of Llantrisant town people and local businesses, we have a monument to be proud of. I would like to extend a huge ‘thank you’ to everyone involved in the campaign.”
The Committee’s Chartered Surveyor, Tim Davies, who oversaw the construction process, said: “Project managing a war memorial has been a first for me during my 30-year career as a chartered surveyor. “It has been great to work with such skilled artisans as Albion stone, Darren Meir (Slate Sign Co), David Petersen and also KVA Electrical. Tom Prichard and his team have been fantastic as have the Planning and Highways Department Officers at RCT. All have pulled together to achieve a fitting memorial to the fallen of Llantrisant. It has been an honour and privilege to have been involved.”
Commenting on the concert, Committee Event Organiser, Beryl Giles said: “Last year’s “A Concert to Remember” was a sell-out. This year’s concert will reflect and celebrate the community’s contribution to the campaign and mark a momentous day in Llantrisant’s history, it promises to be a special night.”
Following the concert, the committee will begin work on a range of memorial-related information resources for the community.
Tickets for the “Armistice Day Concert” are available in advance from Llantrisant Leisure Centre and The Bullring General Store, Llantrisant.